In 1859, St. Anthony’s Parish, located in St. Charles Township, West Point, NE, was the first Catholic settlement north of the Platte River. The settlement flock was tended by missionary priests traveling on horseback throughout northeast Nebraska. In 1867, a log church, hewn by hand, was dedicated in honor of St. Anthony of Padua. A frame church was built in 1868 to replace the log church since the parish outgrew the original. In 1905, the new brick church was built directly south of the old frame church and was later enlarged in 1941. The present church is 118 ft. long by 50 ft. wide with a 76 ft steeple. The original school and rectory were built in 1909. The school was replaced shortly with a more modern building.
Click on the image to begin the slide show.